Think about not drinking water for 8 hours…this is essentially what we do every night while we’re asleep! When you think about it this way, it makes sense why we should hydrate as soon as we wake up. Drinking water throughout the day will keep you hydrated and your body functioning, but drinking a big glass of water first thing in the morning has its own benefits! Here are five reasons why you should drink water as soon as you wake up.
- Metabolism boost – Consuming 16oz (or more) of water every morning can boost your metabolism by up to 24%!
- Your brain is 75% water – By not giving your brain the fuel it needs to function, symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, lack of focus and mood swings can occur.
- Stay full for longer – Drinking water first thing in the morning, before meals and during the day, can help with overeating and unhealthy snack cravings.
- Dehydrated when you wake up – After sleeping for 8 hours, your body becomes dehydrated. Hydrating upon waking up will restore your body functions and can help repair muscles and produce blood cells.
- Aids Digestion – Drinking water after meals will help break down food so your body can absorb all of the nutrients!